Friday 24 January 2014

Is Mata the Chosen Juan?

With the arrival of Juan Mata to Manchester United looking ever so likely, I will take a look at whether he is the answer to all of David Moyes' problems.

This season has seen David Moyes jump from one disaster to another. Currently languishing in an embarrassing 7th position, Moyes has his work cut out to restore The Red Devils to their former illustrious self. 

The signing of Juan Mata has relieved many supporters, including myself, that Woodward is willing to allow Moyes a decent transfer budget. A reported £150m in the kitty has to be spent if United are to claim European football this season. 

Yes, I believe Juan Mata is a great signing, but I'm not convinced he will solve the problems at United. I watched the Chelsea match and United seemed to be on top until Chelsea scored. By the 80th minute and then into the Sunderland game, it was evident that the team was devoid of confidence.

The Spaniard will bring a cutting edge to United, but I feel that our defence needs to be strengthened also. Rumour has it that Moyes is in the market for Dante and he would bring treble-winning experience. He would also be a fitting replacement for the agageing Ferdinand and injury-prone Nemanja Vidic. Rio Ferdinand a has been a magnificent servant for United over the past years and a terrific centre back but I feel that he should move over to allow Dante, Jones or Evans to replace him. I would relish the prospect of having Dante in Manchester, however I find this transfer unlikely.

Left back is another concern of mine. As with Rio, Patrick Evra has enjoyed a bounty of success at the Manchester club. As for Alex Buttner, recent performances do not merit an inclusion in the United squad. Although a possible future star, I would sign Coentrao as the first team left back. While many people call for Leighton Barnes - and I agree on why you do - I prefer Coentrao due to being younger and cheaper.

Many will be doubting the eligibility of Coentrao and Mata, and I don't blame you for I was until I looked the rule up. My research on the UEFA official website has informed me that "a substitute player who has not been fielded is entitled to play for another club competing in the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League in the course of the same season, provided that he is registered with the UEFA administration in accordance with the present regulations." In terms of United, it means that Mata will NOT be able to participate in the Champions League as he appeared against Basel and Steaua for the London side. It's not all bad news as Coentrao would be able to play as he has not made an appearance in it for Madrid.

I believe in David Moyes. I also believe that if he is prudent in the transfer market, he can resurrect United to a respectable position in the table. At Manchester United, several transfers could give them the lacking ingredient for an under performing side. Confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I'd like to hear your thoughts on what you have read...